NOTICE: Due to COVID-19 situation, we move to filing online with Skype. We will send you the meeting url after your confirm your appointment. Please make sure mic and camera working on your device.
ECLife Newcomer Centre is a CRA CVITP clinic to provide Tax return assistant for newcomers. Our team members all volunteers combined with students and immigrants who willing to contribute to the local community.
Our program runs from March 1, 2021 to April 30, 2021. Three shifts a day seven days a week. Monday to Friday shifts will be 10am - 12pm, 1pm - 3pm, 5pm - 7pm. Saturday and Sunday shifts will be 10am - 12pm, 12pm - 2pm, 2pm - 4pm.
How to start
- Confirm you are eligible
- SIN or ITN
- In order to complete tax return, you will need a SIN (social insurance number). If you are not Canadian residence, like you are international students who are not able to get a SIN, you can apply for an ITN (Individual Tax Number). SIN can obtain from Service Canada (Address: 6206 Quinpool Rd). Apply ITN need to fill form T1261 and mail the form according to the address on the form.
- Login then book a service appointment
- When you book an appointment, you will choose a week in March and April with a time frame of 2 hours. We will contact you to confirm a specific date and time for the appointment. Program team member will contact you to confirm what tax forms and martial you need to bring.
- In general, you need to bring SIN/ITN, photo ID / passport, tax forms, previous year NOA (Notice of Assessment), bank transfer info (click see example)
- Please bring all the tax related documents to our office and complete the tax return face to face. (must come in person with your photo ID to confirm your identity.)
Call us if you have any question 902-402-6567
Find out if you are eligible
You may be eligible for help at ECLife office for FREE if you have a modest income and a simple tax situation.
In general, a modest income means your total family income is less than the amount shown in the chart below, based on the size of your family.
|Family size||Total family income is under...|
|More than 5 persons||$52,500 plus $2,500 for each additional person|
Simple tax situation
In general, your tax situation is simple if you have no income or if your income comes from any of these sources:
- benefits such as the Canada Pension Plan, disability insurance, employment insurance, and social assistance
- registered retirement savings plans (RRSPs)
- support payments
- scholarships, fellowships, bursaries or grants
- interest (under $1,000)
Your tax situation is not simple if you:
- are self-employed or have employment expenses
- have business or rental income and expenses
- have capital gains or losses
- filed for bankruptcy in the tax year (or the year before, if that return has not yet been filed)
- are completing a tax return for a deceased person
After we completed tax return
Our volunteer will submit the tax report to CRA through CRA certified software, you will receive an email from CRA to confirm. We suggest you bring a USB drive for the appointment so you can save all the tax report and martial in it. Please keep these reports for more than 7 years. When you do your tax again next year, please bring previous reports for data reference. There may be a case that the tax report can not submit online, so you have to print out the tax report and mail them to CRA.
Follow up service
Due to the fact that most of the follow up requests come after the completion of our program, therefore, the ECLife Community Volunteer Tax Return Program does not provide follow up service in general. We may have limited year round volunteer can help you or the paid service could help with the follow up requests.
Our program not include free Tax Adjustment service if your tax done wrong by other tax preparer or tax clinic. If anything done wrong with our office or volunteer, we will do a tax adjustment for you with no charge.
What if I am not eligible to serve at ECLife
Lots of other organizations also provide the same CVITP service you could choose from like the public libraries, schools. You can always seek help from professional tax preparer / clinic or accountant for a fee. Or you can also buy tax return software done by yourself.